Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Second Attempt

Last year I made 2 consecutive batches of strawberry jam and we noticed that some set and some didn't. I wondered if the distinction was the batch - slightly smaller pot, utensils maybe not dry, or something - but couldn't tell. So I paid attention the other day and noted that the second batch, in the slightly smaller pot, didn't set up. But then I noticed that 2 of the other 4 pints didn't set up either. So I have no idea what's going on. But there is a way to make them gel.

Tonight I boiled 4 pints of jam with another package of Certo, 1 and a half cups of sugar, and 4 T. lemon juice. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work. If it does, tomorrow I'll take the other 2 pints and mix them with some mulberries and blueberries (if they don't get eaten by then) and make a new batch of triple berry jam. We do, after all, have a lot of strawberry jam variations so can handle losing a couple of pints...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.