Thursday, October 16, 2014

Black Walnuts

After letting the walnuts dry for a month, I cracked them open with a vise today.  Out of 20, only 3 were bad, which is a pretty good yield.  It definitely makes sense to get them directly off the tree when possible.  Note to self:  it also seems to be easier to crack them open if they dry longer.

Once I extracted the nuts from the shells I toasted them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.  I ended up with about 3/4 cup of walnuts.  Last year, I put them into a pear conserve.  Not sure what I should do with them this year...

1 comment:

  1. I ended up putting them in a jar and covering them with maple syrup. The idea here is that the syrup, in a month or so, will be all walnutty and would go well on banana pancakes, and the walnuts will be all mapley and make a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete